Saturday 1 November 2008

Shadows in the Dark - Public Opinion

Reviews for "Shadows in the Dark" from the Mythmakers section on the Doctor Who Forum.

Originally Posted by Sontaran General
Very good start. It's nice to read a good BC fic.
Originally Posted by The_Void
Now, I want you to go to the highest room in your house, find the highest window, and leap out of it. Then I want you to fly to Jupiter. Now, you might be saying "That's impossible" but that doesn't matter, because you've already done the impossible tonight. You have made a Chatham fic good. Not just good, but very good. A story, with Ben Chatham in it, that's good.

My friend, you deserve a medal.
Originally Posted by noseofsauron
Top stuff. Those creatures had the makings of a real classic monster. All the dialogue flowed
nicely and Ben and Kyle sounded like real, flawed people.
Im really looking forward to seeing how this develops.
Originally Posted by TheExterminater
Good work Bernie. Those Shadow people give me the creeps though!
Originally Posted by Dalek Warhol
Nice one. Chatham lives. After years of poor characterisation and unrealistic dialogue, Ben Chatham has emerged from the lemon-scented ashes as a really believable character. It's just a shame he's only going to be like that half the time.

I also liked the resolution, it was nice to have the situation totally out of the heroes' control.

I think I can say, without fear of contradiction, that this is the best Chatham story ever. And I'm not just saying that because you used my title
Originally Posted by Lemon Bloody Cola
Exactly what I want from a Ben Chatham story. As I said the other day, Ben stories tend to work best as character driven pieces and the way you've captured the odd but real chemistry between Ben and Kyle was great. There were some genuinely funny moments in there and the Ben and Kyle in bed together scene would delight Chathamverse shippers if such a thing exists (other than me).

I like the photoshop header thingy as well. You should do a second one with Craig (Dario Coates), Isobel (Hannah Murray) and erm the bloke who plays Anselm and thrill my fan boy heart. I'm somewhat gutted now that I've let myself down as a fan boy there by forgetting the name of the actor who plays Anselm.
Originally Posted by Cameron J Mason
Brilliant stuff.

A good story with good characterisation and prose style, and yet it still manages some gentle mocking of Ben.

Cameron
Originally Posted by LeeRatbag View Post
Mr Fishnotes, I salute you. Your work is everything that Sparacus's fails to be. The characters are three-dimensional and believable, their more negative quirks facets of their personalities rather than the whole extent of their being. The dialogue is naturalistic and beautifully crafted. Excellent.
Originally Posted by person112
Congradulations, I particularly like what you did with some of the less likable characters like Katie, Craig and Anselm.

The story is good, the characters likable and 3D and I'm enjoying myself. Basically you've done the opposite to everything Spara does.

Good on you, I look forward to you next chapter!

And, what some might consider the most important one, from Ben Chatham's creator himself...

Originally Posted by sparacus
EXCELLENT stuff. This story has all the right elements: spooky haunted hotel, Ben in underpants,an archaeological dig, undercurrent of menace. I'm very pleased. Perfect for Halloween.

1 comment:

Youth of Australia said...

I thought it was pretty good too. A bit "ZOMG, it was a REAL monster!" but you got the claustrophobia and the chavaphobia perfect.

BTW, this word verification thing sucks.